Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mexico (or Mexicoco)

So I started this blog to try to share Samuel's development with everyone who doesn't get the pleasure of seeing him everyday. I now realize that this can be as much a record for him, and Marc and I, of the wonder of a two year old's life. What got me thinking about this was my work trip to Europe. I was away from Samuel for 5 days, longer than I had ever been away and the baby I left on Sunday afternoon was not the man I came home to on Friday night. OK, I exaggerate (a lot) but he really changed in those 5 days. His "sentences" went from an adjective and a noun to real sentences with a verb. He grew taller and leaner. His preferences and directions ("Mami sientate piso, Samuel silla" = Mommy sit on floor, Samuel on chair) became clearer. To this end, and giving my failing memory and ever growing mommy-brain, I am going to do my best to find some time to write and add pictures on a regular basis. Now that I won't be traveling as much I hope that it will be easier to find the time.

Mexico (or as Samuel often says Mexicoco)

We went to Mexico last week to celebrate my grandmother's 88th birthday. We spent a lovely two days in Juriquilla, a resort style hotel 2 hours outside of Mexico City, with my Dad's family. Samuel loved playing and running with his cousins, Eduardo and Moy (my cousin Sharon's 3 year old son), calling "Ven Uado, ven Moy" (Come Eduardo, come Moy) with an outstretched arm and a closing fist. He danced and sang with the musicians which he referred to as Machis (Mariachis). He called our hotel room "casa" (home). Here are a few pictures:

Andy, Uardo (Eduardo) and Samuel

Four Generations of Lulka Family

It was impossible to capture Eduardo, Moy and Samuel given their speed and the speed of a lay person's camera.

Moy and Eduardo

Dancing the night away

Breakfast with Tocayo (my dad), Regi (my mom), Baby Rebeca (my grandmother)

Our time in Mexico City was not as enjoyable. Our first night there Samuel came down with a fever and hallucinated about something being on th sheets and floor of the hotel, something about a dirty, falling train with garbage. It was the first time that being with Marc or with me didn't calm him down or make him feel better. Eventually with some Tempra purchased at the hotel store (this was the first of his 20 trips that I didn't bring a medicine kit, and the first time we really needed it), quality time in Tocayo's arms (my Dad) and an hour of watching the TV channel with highlights of the hotel, he calmed down enough to fall asleep.
At 3 am, the night of the hallucinations

Our lunch with my great aunt Emma and great uncle Beni and their family was cut short when Samuel's fever returned and we took him to my cousin's pediatrician. My mom, Samuel and I spent the rest of the trip at the hotel, hosting our friends there. Samuel got better each day, and eventually started to repeat our calming phrases "It's OK Mami" and "No train on bed". It was also the first time since we weaned that he showed a preference to be with me. It wasn't how I wanted to introduce Samuel to the country of my birth but we'll have other opportunities to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment