Monday, October 27, 2008

Genius

Samuel's vocabulary is constantly expanding, and usually he uses words and phrases appropriately. Somewhere though, he picked up the word "genius" but we don't think he knows what it means. The first time he used it was towards Marc, when Samuel was furious with him "no no no Daddy, you're a genius". He used it towards me the next day when I almost ran through a stop sign at the Ikea parking lot, I hadn't seen it and when I did I braked quite suddenly. Samuel called out from the back seat "Mami is a genius".

Instead of "yes" he now says an enthusiastic yet pensive "oh yes" to answer many questions.

And he also says "Oh my gosh".

We assume he picked these up from school. At home, he picked up a phrase he uses a bit too often and too appropriately for my taste. Picture an angry, frustrated almost 3 year old throwing his jacket on the ground saying "no, no, no Mami, no coat, damn it", or he'll say it when he gets frustrated while dressing himself, and especially when he's over tired (he's transitioning away from his nap, especially during the week). I take small comfort that of all the bad words, this phrase is not quite as bad as the others he could have picked up along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Zoe has started saying "oh my gosh" too. It sounds really cute b/c she says it really high-pitched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. Too precious.
    I can't wait to see you guys in Toronto when we come back over the holidays. We were very sad to have missed you in Washington by mere days!

    xo L

    ReplyDelete