Saturday, February 14, 2009

Tales from Daycare

We've had a couple eventful weeks with Matthew and Renee starting daycare and my starting a new job.

Daycare is going well, and not to brag but I think my kids are favourites and the teachers have fallen in love. And who wouldn't? The kids and teachers are all smiles at drop off and pick up and when I've been able to visit at lunch.

But, we've already had a few "issues". Renee was sent home one day after 3 runny diapers which is standard practice. I had an important meeting, so Marc took the day off to be with Renee who, of course, was perfectly healthy all day. The big first here was that Matthew and Renee spent a day apart for the first time ever. Both seemed to do well.

We also had our first incident report. One child at the daycare, we'll call her "Renee", was so excited with the rattle in her hand that she got carried away and hit Matthew in the eye. Matthew received treatment of an ice pack and lots of TLC (direct quote from the incident report), but he still had a little red welt above his eye. At this age, we think it was accidental, but I'm sure it's only a sign of things to come.

Samuel is terrific. He's started getting mad at Marc and me for indignities like bedtime, nap time, clean-up, not throwing blocks etc. His favourite response to us when we ask him to do something he doesn't want to do is to firmly say "Daddy/Mommy, you're not my friend". Thankfully, he's fickle and we tend to get back into the friendship book pretty quickly. He loves pretending that we're on planes, trains and boats. Today he made a tower of blocks, together with Plop Plop and Ding Dong, that was taller than him.

The kids have reached an age where we can all sit down together and play, and it's lovely.

As for me, I'm enjoying being back at work, but still trying to figure out how all the parts of my life will fit together. It's only been two weeks though so I'm sure it will come together, and fall apart again, soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ack, they are growing so fast! I am impressed by Renee and Matthew's lack of codependency and Samuel's ability to have TWO 'imaginary' friends - I could never manage to even hang on to one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day apart...that's amazing to think that Renee and Matthew have been together so closely since birth. Beautiful!
    Zoe does the whole "you're not my friend" thing with Scott and me too when she doesn't get her way. It blows over like the wind, thank goodness.
    So happy to hear things are going well. Would love to hear how the job and all the other moving parts are going.
    L

    ReplyDelete