Monday, October 12, 2009

40 Years, new words, and Samuel-isms






My parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary last weekend so I thought it fitting to have a small tribute to them. Two weekends ago we celebrated by going away all together to Nottawasaga Inn - you can imagine how many different pronunciations Samuel had!. This past weekend they were supposed to go to Chicago for the weekend, by themselves to celebrate. But instead they canceled to stay home and spend time with Samuel, Matthew and Renee (and help us out along the way). Words can't express how appreciative I am for their unending support, love and generosity. I think my favourite thing to do is whatch them interact with the kids - there's nothing better than seeing the generations having so much fun. One day Samuel, Matthew and Renee will read this and what I want them to take away is that their Tocayo and Regi would rather be with them, playing, feeding, observing, than anywhere else. What I took away is that parenting is an unending commitment with unparalleled rewards.

Matthew and Renee's vocabulary really started to take off. Both say "up" when they want to get out of their high chairs. Both requested either "a-ah / aga/ auga" (agua = water) or "ugo / u-oh" (jugo = juice at lunch lat weekend). Matthew says "pie" (= foot) and points to it when you ask him where it is, he can also identify his bellybutton. Last week when I asked him where his foot is, he pointed to both his feet and grabbed my hands and brought them to him feet. And, Renee took her top off by herself at bedtime. Leaps and bounds of growth and development!!

And, Samuel's potty training seems to have gotten back on track again. He is full of funny stories and sayings. Like "on your markers, get set, go". He loves asking "how wants to go to my birthday party, raise their hands". He has a new imaginary friend whose name is Rocker (hilarious name as he goes to a Jewish school where there are lots of Davids, Daniels, Joshuas, but certainly no Rockers!). Rocker goes to his school and pushes people in the playground, Rocker will also marry him and his friend J one day. Rocker is not as big as Plop Plop and Ding Dong are though (interesting as Plop Plop and Ding Dong are babies). He also loves pretend play about camp and rockets. He loves telling secrets, although sometimes all he does is whisper nonsensical syllables and other times he just whispers "Mami, I have a secret to tell you, but you can't tell anyone".

We were supposed to go to DC this weekend for Big Birthday Bash #4, the joint birthday celebration the Milk Moms have every fall for our firstborns' birthdays. It was the right decision to cancel the trip, Samuel needed the stability, but I'm quite nostalgic thinking about not being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment