Thursday, October 11, 2012

BBB #7

We packed the van and headed to DC for BOB (Big Birthday Bash) #7, the seventh group birthday celebration on the babies who brought us moms together at the Breastfeeding Center for Greater Washington.
Overall, the trip was a success. Samuel had his second ever sleep over with a friend (the first one was the night Matthew and Renee were born), and for the first time ever (or first time in front of us) took an interest in board and card games.

A few conversations from the drive down:

At night:

Samuel - "Yesterday was Sukkot"

Me - "Yes it was, lasts 1 week"

Samuel - "I saw three starts so I completed the thing" (in reference to seeing stars through the roof of a Sukkah)
At the hotel, around midnight:

Me - "Marc, I'm going to get something to E-A-T"

Renee - "Mami, why are you going to get some food?"

The next day:

Samuel, looking at the trees "its so beautiful, that's why I like my birthday. What was my birthday last year? Oh yeah TaeKwonDo. And who was J?" (Reference to a friend from summer camp 2011 who invited Samuel to his TaeKwonDo birthday and vice versa)

Me - "Your friend from camp. Do you remember B from camp this year"

Samuel - "yeah"

Matthew - "do you remember O (boy at school)"

Samuel -" yeah"

Matthew - "do you remember me"

Further down the road:

Samuel - "Look cows"

Renee, holding a book with a picture of cows to the window - "Let me show them to this and each other"


The arrival and stay at the hotel were exciting as can be for the kids. "This is the best bathroom ever", "I love the kitchen", etc. Samuel asked me "Mami, which hotel do you like better, this one or the one from last time". Gaging the level of excitement, I said "this one". His face grew long and sad.

I asked "what about you, which one do you like better". He said "both exactly the same, because I don't want the people at the other hotel to be sad".


The drive back wasn't too bad about 12 hours door to door with a couple stops. The kids kept themselves entertained without the use of any electronic devices, except the GPS which they took turns holding. Matthew added a few random favorite locations (like llllpppgggtttrrrhjjjkkssss near Washington Circle) and Renee re-routed us to Puerto Rico. Good thing we have a sense of direction. We did have to utter the "do you want to go to another trip" threat more than a few times, but all things considered they did well.


The visit to DC was great. Seeing Samuel connect with his old friends was sweet, especially as they would have no memory of when we lived there. We also saw him assert himself with a group of older girls who he had never met. Matthew acclimatized to every social situation effortlessly. Renee clung to my legs until she found her own footing and then never looked back.


Eamon, Samuel, Matthew, with Renee in the background looking in the mirror

 
Tending the fire at J, M, and V's Canadian Thanksgiving.  Renee said "going to that house with the chocolate and the fire was so fun"

Matthew and Renee, deep in conversation with umbrellas under the hotel roofed entrance

 
Renne "teaching" Marya how to write, draw, etc.

The first board game I've seen Samuel play

5 kids (superheros) at play













Samuel was enthralled with a juggler at the pumpkin land we went to with Zoe, Mia, Sophie.  Huge smile in his face.  Matthew is getting his face painted.

1 comment:

  1. Sil, it is so awesome how you are capturing these moments and conversations. I love reading them, and I love that you're doing it. xxxxxooooo

    ReplyDelete