When Samuel was a baby, I nursed him everywhere - at the post office, on the bus, walking down the street, etc. It was a big part of our life - we were portable and could do whatever we wanted to do, "have boobs will travel".
I couldn't quite figure out how I would do this with two babies at once. Until yesterday. We were shopping for a double stroller (for which we definitely need a minivan, even if we didn't need one for our 3 kids), and Renee woke up from her nap much earlier than expected and wanted to eat. OK - that was no problem I took her out fed her while continuing to look at strollers. I even used the sling so I could try out the strollers with both hands. Then Matthew woke up. That was no problem too as Renee was content to take a break. So I rotated between them for a little while until both started to cry. Being faced with the choice between two crying babies and figuring out a way of nursing the twins in public, I chose the latter.
So I sat down in a car seat the store uses to demonstrate how child car seats install, and right there in the middle of the stroller and car seat section of Great Beginnings, I pulled up my nursing top and fed both Matthew and Renee at the same time. I got a few looks, but they were smiles, and I got a "you go girl" from a fellow mom. I don't think I was very discreet, but I didn't really care either - whoever wants to take an issue with a mom who is nursing twins in public, at a baby store, is asking for trouble. No wonder I was exhausted when we got home (after having to pull of the highway to nurse Renee again). Not bad for week 3.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome, Silvia. I think it's our job, as nursing moms who don't mind being public, to be public, so that SOMEDAY - nobody will even notice it'll be so damn common.
ReplyDeleteShe's right - YOU GO GIRL!
Not a bad week at all!! Fantastic! Wish I was there to pull up a carseat and nurse next to you :)
ReplyDelete