Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The best bedtime book ever

We have a photo album of Samuel's first year, and he choose to read it as his bedtime book tonight, in full consciousness that he turns 5 tomorrow.

He asked all sorts of questions - why did I cry was a prominent one. He identified my Zaide who he really only met once at the age of 3 months. Vickie - he had lots of questions about T (was he my friend? Is he bigger? Where does he live?). He tried to put both fists in his mouth imitating a baby picture. He relished in the stories of who gave and made him clothes and blankets, and who came to visit, who gave him toys. And, he knew exactly what toys we still have, including the baby gund plush caterpillar I said we had given away already but found later tonight while looking for pictures to take to school tomorrow.

It was a lovely way to reflect on his first year. And so fitting, he is such an empathetic person, and reflective, with a great memory.

Next time I blog, I'll officially have 5 years of parenting under my belt. THANKS SAMUEL!!!!

6 comments:

  1. the girls and I love to look at their first album too
    Happy birthday Samuel, today is YOUR DAY!
    5 years .... doesn't it seem like it was yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet - this brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - happy, happy birthday ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for Samuel! And hooray for you and Marc for doing such a great job! I have a card in the mail for him - I sent it last week so hopefully he gets it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an amazing post. Happy birthday Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should show him the video of him and T when they were 5 and 4 mos old. (I think it's filed under March or April 06!)

    It is so sweet. And what a milestone, that he is beginning to understand that his life isn't just what is here and now!

    ReplyDelete