Saturday, November 20, 2010

Shabbat at Home

Our Shabbat dinners are at my parents' house, a lovely multi-generation celebration that marks the end of the week and beginning of the weekend. There's such wisdom in having a ritual for that demarcation and reason to pause, I can feel the tension leaving as we recite the blessings and sing the songs.

What we miss out on if hosting our own dinners. The time will come for that when we have a dining room (vs. playroom) and the kids are older. But the pride that Samuel took in setting his beautiful Shabbat table on Friday makes me think that I should do what I can to host Shabbat dinners to home in the near future.

Everything here was chosen and placed on the table by Samuel while Matthew and Renee sat in thier booster seats and watched.

When Marc got home, we light the candles, blessed the wine/grape juice, gave thanks for bread and ate the favourite "bagl smok sama" and "ke chee" (bagels with smoked salmon with cream cheese) meal. Singing Hinei Ma Tuv (how good it is to be amongst friends) between bites.

Shabbat Shalom!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of marking the end of the week, beginning of the weekend! I'm going to figure out a way to do this in my own house. Besides just making frozen pizza each week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also celebrate Shabbat every Friday and although it is often mixed with chaos I look forward to it. Shabbat Shalom.

    ReplyDelete