Friday, November 2, 2012

Tales from the car

In the car today:

Renee - "when I grow up, I don't want to be an astronaut"

Me - "why do you say that"

Renee - "because they have to be full of needles"

Me - "who told you that"

Renee - "my belly told me"

<<< Fast forward 10 minutes later >>>

Renee, wailing - "my gummy, my gummy fell, Mami get my gummy NOWWW"

Me - "I'm driving, I can't stop. Where's your candy?"

Renee - "on the floor WA WA WA WA"

Me - "I'm driving and its dirty"

Renee - " WA WA WA"

Etc etc

So, using my mom's old tried and true method, I pulled over and said that I'd start driving when the car was quiet. I took a few deep breaths and turned around to ask her to take deep breaths. It worked ok, she calmed down.

Then Samuel unbuckled his seat belt, went over to Renee, stroked her cheeks and said "don't worry little sister, big brother will be with you, I'll take care of you, and we'll go home and watch TV, we'll be ok, stop crying so we can get home and brig brother will take care of you". She accepted his comfort through her sniffles.

And with a relatively quiet car (save for the spilled water bottles and the normal banter), we drove home to eat mazah ball soup and pizza.

Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

3 comments:

  1. that' s really nice. Brothers are always there to defend you and protect you, aren't they?

    I need to remember your mom's trick, tks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my mom did that too and so do I now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full of needles, eh? My boy decided not to be an astronaut when he learned they have to perform bodily functions in their suits. Samuel is a sweetheart. She is lucky to have him as a big brother.

    ReplyDelete