I love playing Sudoku, not that I get to do it very often now but I played regularely before Matthew and Renee were born. While Marc bathed Samuel, I often indulged in internet Sudoku games, challenging myself to faster times. When I got pregnant my times really decreased and I made many "dumb" mistakes - putting two 5's next to each other in the same box, etc. Since giving birth, my scores have improved although not up to pre-pregnancy standards.
Tonight, while washing my nursing supplements (oh joy), I heard a really interesting story on CBC radio (Canadian NPR) about brain function and the brain's ability to grow and teach itself how to function differently. Really interesting, new research about how people with learning disabilities can teach their brain to think differently and overcome their challenges. The link here is that one of the things they mentioned is that playing mind games, like Sudoku, can improve brain function.
Makes me re-think what I used to consider as self-indulgent and consider that it did me some good.
On a note about the kids:
- Renee didn't roll over today
- Samuel decorated left over birthday cupcakes with his cousin Eduardo and didn't want to eat his creation for the second night in a row
- Matthew went back to his regular all-night sleeping schedule - here's hoping it continues.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

His cousin sure did!
ReplyDeleteTypical behaviour, though - at this age they are often more interested in the process than in the product. In this case, more fulfilling to decorate the cake than to eat it. Personally, I'd rather eat it than decorate it, but hey, I'm a bit older than Samuel... (but just a bit, ok?)
All night sleeping from a 3 month old! Wow! You certainly deserve it.
ReplyDeleteWhen my friend started her cancer treatments, one of the things the doctor recommended was a diet of Sudoko to help when she got "cancer brain" from the drugs interfering with clear thinking.
ReplyDeleteThere is also some research for pregnant women that there is a decline in brain function during pregnancy and nursing but significant gains/growth several years later that makes up for it.
The kids are really thriving Silvia. Congratulations!