Sunday, November 23, 2008

Aaah Weekends

I'm not sure what it is, but weekends are exhausting. Monday to Friday we manage to keep the house relatively tidy, kitchen clean, dishwasher dirty or emptied (I don't mention laundry purposely - it's a loosing battle to attempt to keep up - Renee can go through 4-5 outfits per day, at least one crib sheet and one outfit for me, and I only change things that are really gross, smelly and wet). Saturday and Sunday all hell breaks loose and we just can't keep up. Marc thinks it's in part because it's hard for us to keep Samuel entertained at home all weekend. For his whole life we've been going out on weekends - in Georgetown we just walked out the door and in Takoma Park we had lots of play dates - and he always wants to go out walking, not in the car. Our first month here the weather made it easy to go to one of the parks or playgrounds near by. Now, it's below freezing and Samuel doesn't like the cold, nor do we. And Samuel's schedule and Matthew and Renee's schedules don't make it easy to go out together. The saving grace is the help we get from my family, with sleepovers and visits here to hang out with the kids, unload the dishwasher, fold the laundry. So now we need to work on our weekend groove. We'll aim for more play dates and for museum trips, and hope to acclimatize to the weather (pun intended).



Here's a picture from the best part of our bedtime routine - the massage. I do both of them at the same time, one with each hand. As soon as the music starts and I undress them, Matthew and Renee start smiling, and tonight they even laughed!!

6 comments:

  1. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what massage does. What an awesome thing to do for them on a regular basis.
    How about you mom? have you had a massage lately? would love to get you in for one soon. Let's talk about it ok?
    XOXOXO
    Sue and Cuq

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be more helpful at the moment ;(
    But I am going to concur with all the people who have posted on your blog to say that you are an inspiration, a superb mother, an amazing woman, and an astoundingly strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sue and Cuq...a massage in your future anytime soon? The kids look so bright and focused and happy. The family resemblance is also super strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous picture and I absolutely agree that you need a massage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are always smiling or laughing at the same time - must warm your heart every time. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete